The scout troops spend the weekend camping at Hammerwood Scout Camp, on the edge of the Ashdown Forest near East Grinstead.
It was a back-to-basics camp with the scouts cooking all their own meals over wood fires.
Menu for the weekend was
- Hotdogs & hot chocolate for supper after pitching camp
- Cooked breakfast of eggs, bacon, sausage, mushrooms and toast
- Tea/coffee/squash, fruit or a biscuit for for mid morning snack
- Do-it-yourself wraps for lunch + fruit tart
- Tea/coffee/squash, fruit or a biscuit for mid afternoon snack
- Chicken and vegetable curry and rice for dinner followed by sponge puddings and custard
- Hot chocolate for supper
- Choice of eggy bread / omelette and cereal for breakfast
- For end-of-striking camp snack the scouts made Smores using enormous (‘EPIC Huge’) marshmallows
The scouts managed to squeeze four hours of activities into the weekend when they weren’t collecting and burning wood or washing up.
- The brushed up their archery skills
- They set tracking trails for the other teams to follow
- They all had chance to brush up on their axe and saw skills
- They tried their hand at whittling – either tent pegs or cutlery
- They also managed to play quite a few wide games – without injuries!