The scout troops spend the weekend camping at Hammerwood Scout Camp, on the edge of the Ashdown Forest near East Grinstead.
It was a back-to-basics camp with the scouts cooking all their own meals over wood fires.
Menu for the weekend was
- Hotdogs & hot chocolate for supper after pitching camp
- Cooked breakfast of eggs, bacon, sausage, mushrooms and toast
- Tea/coffee/squash, fruit or a biscuit for for mid morning snack
- Do-it-yourself wraps for lunch + fruit tart
- Tea/coffee/squash, fruit or a biscuit for mid afternoon snack
- Chicken and vegetable curry and rice for dinner followed by sponge puddings and custard
- Hot chocolate for supper
- Choice of eggy bread / omelette and cereal for breakfast
- For end-of-striking camp snack the scouts made Smores using enormous (‘EPIC Huge’) marshmallows
The scouts managed a good number of activities into the weekend when they weren’t cooking.
- The brushed up their archery skills
- They set tracking trails for the other teams to follow
- They all had chance to perfect their axe and saw skills
- They tried their hand at whittling – either tent pegs or cutlery
- They also managed to play quite a few wide games – without injuries!